– The Relationship Series –
DIFFERENT . FORGIVE . GUARD . THE RENTS
*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Why is it easier for us to get along with people who are like us rather than people who are different from us? Today we are going to talk about how to treat people who are different than you.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
1. What is happening in this story? Who are the main characters?
2. Which two characters passed by the Jewish “neighbor” who was beaten and robbed?
3. What do you know about Jewish Priests and Jewish Levites/Temple assistants?
4. The Samaritan stopped to help the neighbor. What is a Samaritan?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
5. Why do you think the two Jews passed him by?
6. Why did the Samaritan stop and help him? (v. 33)
7. What is the main point of Jesus’ story? (v. 37)
8. What would this story look like if it took place in your neighborhood? Go through the story as a group or in pairs phrase by phrase and come up with a “your town” version of this parable.
- If Jesus were to tell this story in your neighborhood today, who would the characters be?
- What would the setting be? If you break into pairs, share your stories with each other afterwards.
9. What are some different types of people in the world today?
10. People who are similar often feel more comfortable together. Think about the lunchroom at your school. Together, make a list of the different types of people that are represented at those tables at lunch time.
11. Look through the groups on the list. Why is it sometimes easier to care about and trust people who are similar to you rather than people who are different from you?
12. Read Revelation 5:9, which is a song of praise to Jesus for dying to rescue people from every people of the earth.
- What does this say about why it is important for us to show love to people who are different?
- What is the value of it?
13. How did God show his love for you, even though you are different from him?
14. Does knowing how God loves you make it easier for you to love people who are different?
- If so, why?
15. What is the Holy Spirit’s role in helping you show love to people who are different?
16. What are some things you can do this week to show love to someone who is different than you?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.