The Bible is like a treasure box full of good things. Our job is to find these good things and be able to use them.
2. Where do you see the Bible mentioned in this passage?
3. According to this passage, what are three or four things the Bible can do in your life?
4. Read Hebrews 4:12. What does it mean that the Word of God is alive and powerful? How is that different than any other book?
5. The Bible has helped people for hundreds of years. How could reading the Bible help you personally?
6. Does reading the Bible seem hard, scary or boring to you? Why? What keeps you from reading it more often?
Reading the Bible can be hard, but it is worth it. All day long we are being bombarded by false messages about life. The world tells us that our main goal in life should be personal fulfillment, success, pleasure, friends, money, and being happy, but life is about so much more. To find out what life is really about, we need to regularly listen to messages from the One who created us. God made us and knows our purpose and what will truly bring us lasting satisfaction. The Bible is God’s main way of communicating those truths to us. It is where we can find real truth about life, not just the fluff that the world offers.
7. Often, we don’t read the Bible because we don’t know where to start and we don’t really know how to study it. Today we are going to talk about one simple way to read the Bible called “3 Symbol Bible Reading”.
3 Symbol Bible Reading
1. Pray for God to speak to you through His Word.
2. Read – Read the next chapter in your Bible. The book of John is a good place to start. If the whole chapter is too long for you, just read a part of the chapter.
3. Stop reading when something pops out to you. Pay attention to the word or thought that pops out to you and how you feel about it.
4. Mark it up! It’s ok to write in the Bible, in fact, it’s really helpful!
- Draw a lightbulb beside whatever pops out to you as important. Write your thoughts about it in the margin of your Bible.
- Draw a question mark by anything you don’t understand or have a question about. Write the question in the margins of your Bible.
- Draw an arrow beside anything that you should apply personally to your life.
- If you are using your phone and can’t mark it up, use your notes app to write down your “pops” and any questions that you have.
5. Talk about it – When you’re done reading, talk to God through prayer or write in a journal to God about what pops out to you on the page and the questions you had. Ask God to give you the power to do what the passage says. If you’re in a group, talk with each other about what God taught you as you read.
If you weren’t able to find answers to your question marks, text a leader, pastor, or a Christian friend that might know a little more than you. Talking about our questions helps us all grow and learn more about God’s word together.
8. Let’s try this right now with a passage of the Bible. Open your Bible to Matthew 6:25-34 and study it with the 3 Symbol method.
9. How can you see “3 Symbol Bible Reading” making a difference in your life as you do it regularly?
The 31 DAY CHALLENGE:
Here’s a way to get started. Take the 31-day challenge and read the Bible every day for 31 days. Start in the book of John and see how a month in God’s word can impact your life!
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.