– The Relationship Series –
DIFFERENT . FORGIVE . GUARD . THE RENTS
*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
“Three years ago a drunk driver crashed into my Mom’s car. Mom died, the other guy lived. He is serving time in prison and recently wrote to me asking for my forgiveness. I just don’t know if I can, or if I even want to.” What advice would you give to this person?
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
1. Today we are going to look at what Jesus said about forgiveness. Read Matthew 18:21–35. What was the first servant’s problem?
2. Why was the first servant forgiven? Would you have forgiven him?
3. Based on the king’s actions in verse 27, what does it mean to forgive another person?
4. In verse 28, what is wrong with how the first servant treated the second servant? What was the king’s response?
5. How is the Master in the story like God?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
6. How are we sometimes like the first servant?
7. Why is it sometimes hard for us to forgive others?
8. In the story, the master forgave the servant for the millions of dollars that he owed. What has Christ forgiven you for?
9. In verses 32–33, the king was angry at the first servant for not forgiving a small debt when he had forgiven the first servant of a very large debt. How does this remind you to extend forgiveness to those around you?
10. Look at the picture at the top of the page. How is not forgiving others like being in prison?
11. According to this story, what are some things that could motivate us to forgive people who hurt us?
12. The Holy Spirit is the source of our power to live the Christian life. How can the Holy Spirit help us to forgive others?
13. Who do you need to forgive? What makes it hard to do? If you feel comfortable, share with the group your plans to forgive someone.
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.