*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Have you ever known anyone who has received a transplant from an organ donor?
- What is that person’s attitude toward life and the person who donated the organ?
- Often they don’t know who that person was, but if they had a chance to meet or speak to that person, what do you think they would want to say or do?
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
1. Read Luke 8:27-39. According to verses 28-29 what are some of the ways the man’s life is described before his encounter with Jesus?
2. How is the man described in verse 35 after his encounter with Jesus?
3. How does the man respond to Jesus after Jesus sets him free?
- What does he ask for?
- Why do you think he responds this way?
4. What specific assignment does Jesus give him and how does he respond?
5. The other people in the story ask Jesus for something.
- What do they ask?
- Why do you think what they ask is so different from what the man asked?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
6. If you have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ, what are some things from which you have been set free?
7. In your experience, how does someone who has experienced Christ’s power and love personally respond to Jesus differently than friends who have not experienced Jesus’s power and love or have only seen Jesus at a distance?
There are many verses in the Bible that talk about how we respond to God based on our gratitude.
8. Read 2 Corinthians 5:14-15.
- What is the motivation in these verses?
- What is the response?
- What do you think it looks like to no longer live for ourselves but for Christ?
9. How do you think no longer living for yourself but for Christ, impacts your decision-making process?
10. How do you determine what Jesus wants you to do?
11. In the story we read, the man had an idea of how he wanted to serve Christ. He wanted to go with him. Jesus gave him another assignment instead. Sometimes the assignments Jesus gives us are different than our preconceived notions of how we want to serve. How do you respond when that is the case?
12. Is there anything in your life right now that you need to stop doing or start doing in order to live fully surrendered to Christ?
FOR FURTHER STUDY
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.