– The Getting Started Series –
CONFIDENCE . RECONNECT . PLUG IN . GROWTH
We start to grow in our faith as we learn more of Jesus and his love for us. This study explores some of the ways that growth happens in our lives.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Watch one or more of the videos below and answer the following questions:
- What are the signs you notice when a couple of your friends are starting to like each other?
- How is this similar to what happens when we start to grow in our relationship with God?
When two people start to like each other, they talk to each other more, want to be with each other whenever possible, and talk about that person with anyone who will listen. Our relationship with God can be like that. As we get to know him better, we spend more time talking and listening to him. We enjoy being with others who have that same desire. And we want to talk to others about him.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
Read Acts 2:42.
This verse is about a group of people that all became Christians together. Let’s take a look at how they grew closer to God and see what we can learn.
- What were people doing in this passage as they began to grow in their faith?
- What might this look like in our lives today?
Read Acts 2:46-47.
- What signs do you see in these verses that these people were growing in their relationship with Jesus?
- What might this look like in your life today?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
Just like a tree needs its roots to grow, we grow spiritually as we sink our roots into Christ in at least four ways:
1. MEET with other Christians regularly
We grow with God as we hang out with those who share our faith in Jesus.
- What are some ways we can do this?
- How does this help your faith?
- What happens if this isn’t a part of your life?
2. SHARE our faith with others
Telling non-Christians about God is another way we grow as followers of Jesus. The last verse in this passage says “the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.”
- Do you think God is doing the same kind of thing today?
- If so, whom in your life do you most want to know about God?
3. READ the Bible regularly
4. PRAY – talking with God
HOW TO SPEND TIME WITH GOD
Two things that really help us grow closer to God is reading the Bible and praying to God each day. Some people call this a “quiet time” or “devotional.” We’ll call it having a “Bible Sandwich.”
Take a minute to…
- CONFESS any sin God brings to mind (1 John 1:9). This helps you be in a good place with God as you spend time with him.
- ASK God’s Spirit to show or teach you something as you read the Bible.
2. READ THE BIBLE and ask three questions:
1.) What does this say about God?
2.) What does this say about me (or people in general)?
3.) What can I do to apply what I’ve learned to my life?
3. PRAY again
- THANK God for what you learned.
- ASK God to help you apply what you learned to your life.
- PRAY for yourself and others.
What one thing stands out to you the most from this study?
What’s a step you can take with God’s help to put that thing into practice this week?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.