*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Basketball star LeBron James broke a major rule when he met Prince William and Duchess Kate, English royalty. LeBron put his arm around Kate when they took a photo. Here are some of the rules for meeting royalty:
1) Stand when royalty enters the room.
2) Only speak when spoken to.
3) Address the Queen as “Your Majesty” and the Prince and Duchess as “Your Royal Highness.”
4) Never touch them, unless they offer a brief handshake.
5) Don’t chew gum.
6) Stop and bow 20 feet from the throne.
7) Stop eating when they stop eating.
8) Don’t turn your back on them.
What’s your reaction to this kind of royal treatment?
In America we are not used to having or being around royalty. We expect everyone to be treated equally. The closest we come to this is being around celebrities. In the passage we are going to read, Isaiah describes his encounter when he meets God seated on a throne.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
*Read Isaiah 6:1–9a.
1. When Isaiah meets God in a vision, how does he see God?
2. Verse 2 talks about seraphim (which are angels). What are these angels doing and saying? Why do you think they are covering themselves?
3. How does Isaiah respond? How do you think you would have responded if you saw and heard this?
4.How is Isaiah able to stay in God’s presence and not be destroyed? How has our guilt been taken away and our sin “atoned for (been paid for)” as believers, allowing us to be in God’s presence?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
6. When you compare yourself to this holy God, would you consider yourself to be a pretty good person or unclean, like Isaiah? Why?
7. If the only way for you to be with God is for you to be holy, how do you think you can become holy?
8. When the angels were in God’s presence, all they could do was worship him. What do you think “worship” means?
9. How do you think recognizing God’s holiness would help you to worship him more genuinely?
*10. OK, so God is holy.
- How does that impact your life?
- If you really believed that this holy God is always with you, how would you want to live differently?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.