Omar recently became a follower of Christ, but lately he’s been having a hard time in his relationship with God. He feels grateful that God has forgiven his sins and wants to keep growing spiritually, but he feels like he’s hit a wall. Does he have what it takes to be the kind, loving, unselfish person he knows God wants him to be? He’s not so sure. In what ways can you relate to Omar’s experience?
Who is the Holy Spirit? is he a who? Is he a what? Is he a ghost? When Jesus left the earth, he said that he had to leave so that the Holy Spirit could come. Why is this Holy Spirit so important? The Bible says the Holy Spirit is the power source to our spiritual life. It’s like the electricity to a light bulb. Without electricity, the light bulb is powerless and useless. In the same way, without the Holy Spirit guiding our lives, a Christian will have no power to live the kind of life God calls us to live. He will just feel defeated and always kinda stuck. Let’s take a look at what the Bible says about the Holy Spirit and why he is so important to our lives.
According to the Bible, the Holy Spirit is God who lives inside of every Christian and empowers us to live the Christian life.
Read 1 Corinthians 2:9-16
1. What does 1 Corinthians 2:9 say about God’s plans for those who love him? Who is he?
2. In verse 10, how does God’s Spirit help us experience God’s plans for us?
3. What do we learn about God’s Spirit in verses 11-13?
THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE
As you go through these three types of people, refer to the diagram at the bottom of the page.
4. NATURAL PERSON – Read 1 Corinthians 2:14. How does this verse describe people who don’t have God’s Spirit?
5. SPIRITUAL PERSON – Read 1 Corinthians 2:15-16. How do these verses describe people who have God’s Spirit “on the throne” of their lives, filling, controlling, and empowering them?
6. WORLDLY PERSON – Read 1 Corinthians 3:1-3. How do these verses describe worldly people who have God’s Spirit but remain “on the throne” of their lives?
7. As you consider the 3 people described in 1 Corinthians 2:14-3:3, which one best describes you and why? (see the picture below)
8. Which kind of person would you like to be and why?
9. So, how do you get from one to the other? Putting Christ back on the throne of your life is also called “being filled with the Spirit”. You are filled with the Spirit in the same way that you become a Christian in the first place – by faith. If you would like Christ to, again, sit on the throne of your life, take a moment now to silently
1)Confess your sins
2) Invite Christ to sit on the throne of your life
3)Trust, by faith, that he is now on the throne of your life and will empower you to live the Christian Life
10. Think of a difficult situation you’re facing right now. How could God’s Spirit help you deal with it? Pray as a group or in pairs for those situations.
11. The picture at the top of the page is a light bulb that is turned on with a lot of light bulbs that are turned off. Why is this a good picture for this lesson?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.