– The Growing With God Series –
READ . PRAY . SHARE . MEET
*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Tia placed her faith in Jesus last month, and she’s already felt the difference he’s made in her life. She has a joy and peace she never had before. She finds herself thinking about others when her life used to be pretty self-absorbed. And she’s been growing in meaningful friendships with other followers of Christ that have been really refreshing to her. But she’s wondering how God wants her to relate to these friends who share her faith in Christ. She’s heard people say that going to church is important, but it seems like there should be more to it than that. What advice would you give Tia?
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
Read Acts 2:42-47.
1. This passage is a snapshot of how the Christians lived in the days shortly after Jesus died and rose again. What kind of things stand out to you about their community?
2. Verse 42 says they were devoted to the teaching of the apostles (the leaders of God’s people at this time), living life together (some translations say “the breaking of bread”), and prayer. Why do you think they were devoted to these things?
3. Verse 43 says they kept feeling a sense of awe and that God was doing great things among them. How do you think this fed their desire to be together?
4. Verses 44-45 show that people were more important to them than possessions. How do you think this kind of generosity affected their relationships with each other?
5. Verse 46 shows that they continued too meet regularly in the temple (a large-group setting) and in homes (a small-group setting). Why do you think both were important for their growth with God?
6. Verse 46 also states they did common, everyday things together, like eating meals. How do you think this contributed to growth with God and each other?
7. Why do you think that praising God (verse 47) was a regular part of their lives together?
8. What difference do you think it made for this community that new followers of Christ were joining every day (verse 47)?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
9. How do you think God would use this kind of community if it were a regular part of your life?
10. How can the local church help you connect with other believers?
*11. What’s a step you think God wants you to take in his power to experience more of this kind of community in a large-group and small-group setting?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.