*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would be harder for you:
1) Not checking your phone right away when you see someone has texted?
2) Having someone put your favorite dessert in front of you, but not being allowed to eat it right away?
Explain your answer.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
Read Matthew 4:1–11.
1. Explain in your own words what happened as this story began.
5. What was the same in each of Jesus’ responses to the temptation of instant gratification (see Matthew 4:4, 6, 10)?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
6. Sometimes we just want a “Right Now” button.
- When is the temptation of instant gratification strongest in your life?
- What are some of the consequences of giving in?
7. How does having Jesus as an example and savior help when the temptation of instant gratification strikes?
8. What can you learn from Jesus’ example of fighting the temptation of instant gratification with God’s word every time?
9. Based on what we’ve discussed today, what’s something you can apply with the help of the Holy Spirit the next time this temptation strikes?
10. Jesus was able to resist the temptation of instant gratification because he treasured his relationship with God the Father more than anything. What would it look like for you to treasure your relationship with God more than anything in the face of the temptations you face?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.