Talk about the best experience you’ve had on a sports team, class project, or job where you had to work together to accomplish something special. What did you enjoy most about it?
1. Read Acts 2:41-47, which gives a snapshot of the church in the days shortly after Jesus’ death and return from the grave. What stands out to you as you look at this snapshot?
2. What was true of the church based on verse 41?
3. What were Jesus’ followers devoted to, based on verse 42?
4. How would you describe the attitude in the church based on verses 43-46?
5. What do we learn about Jesus’ church from verse 47?
6. How has your understanding of Jesus’ church changed as a result of looking at these verses?
7. If you moved to a new city today and had to look for a new church to attend, what would you look for based on what we learned today?
8. How does it make a difference to know that Jesus’ church isn’t just a local gathering of people but a global movement that spans all nations and cultures? What makes Jesus’ church different from groups like the Boy Scouts or the YMCA (see Matthew 16:13-19 for a clue)?
9. How do you think God wants you to grow as the kind of person described in these verses?
10. What changes do you think God may want you to make related to church as a result of this study?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.