Who are your favorite parents from movies or T.V. shows? Who are the worst?
Our relationship with our parents is one of the most important relationships in our lives, but it looks different for all of us. Some of us live with our biological parents, some of us don’t. Some of us have two parents who care for us, others of us were raised by a single parent, grandparent or someone that isn’t even related to us. For the sake of this study, when the study refers to your “parents,” it is talking about whoever is raising you, but feel free to answer the questions about anyone you might call a parent.
1. Everybody’s relationships with their parents are a little different. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your relationship with your parents? Why?
2. What do you want to be like as a parent someday?
3. How do you want your kids to treat you when you are a parent?
4. Let’s see what God says about how parents should be treated. What do the following passages say about honoring and respecting your parents? Ex 20:12, Proverbs 10:1, Eph 6:1-2, Mark 10:19, Proverbs 13:1, Proverbs 1:8
5. What does it mean to honor your parents? Why should we honor our parents?
6. Why is it sometimes hard to honor your parents?
8. Why do you think honoring our parents is so important to God?
9. How could you honor and respect your parents better? What is the Holy Spirit’s role in this?
10. How do you honor your parents if they are doing something you think is wrong or are asking you to do something that is wrong?
11. Parents aren’t perfect. Everyone is sinful but when parents sin, children suffer. When parents sin big, children suffer even more. If that has been your experience, you have a Heavenly Father who loves you more than you can imagine (Psalm 68:5). How does it comfort you that God is a perfect father, even if your parents aren’t?
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.