*WHAT DO YOU THINK?
You’re sitting at home and you are hungry and you want to eat some pizza. What parts of your body do you need to make that happen?
What part of the body is most important in the pizza job? What if the hand or another part decided not to do its job?
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
1. Imagine a task that is huge, never been done before, and needs to be done perfectly. God gives such a task to the people of Israel when he gives them instructions to build a place for worship him called the tabernacle. How detailed and complex were his instructions? Have someone read Exodus 25:8–9 and 26:1–8.
2. If you were receiving these instructions and knew they had to be accomplished perfectly down to the tiniest detail, how would you feel?
3. Read Exodus 31:1–11. How does God ensure that the work can be accomplished?
4. God has given us as followers of Jesus a seemingly impossible task as well. What is the work he is calling us as believers to do and how does he provide the means to accomplish the task?
5. Some of the key passages in the New Testament on spiritual gifts include Romans 12:3–8, 1 Peter 4:10–11, 1 Corinthians 12:1–31, Ephesians 4:4–8, 11–16. Break the group up into smaller groups to explore different passages and have them each share with the group what they find. Have someone write down each group’s answers and summarize, answering these two questions:
a) What do you learn about spiritual gifts?
b) What are some of the spiritual gifts God gives?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
6. Do you know what your spiritual gifts might be? Are there any in the above passages that seem to describe you? (It’s okay if you don’t know. People discern their spiritual gifts through service over time, but share if there are any areas that you feel passionate about or think you might enjoy.)
7. These questions might help you discover more about your gifts:
- “When you are involved with activities at your church or with Cru, what needs do you notice first?”
- “Which activities am I involved in that the Lord seem to bless?”
- “What have other mature Christians who know me well (like parents, disciplers, youth leaders) noticed about me?” Share your answers with the group.
8. What are some things you are going to do in the next week to seek to discover or use your spiritual gifts?
FOR FURTHER STUDY:
If you would like to take an online spiritual gifts test, here is one designed for youth. http://www.spiritualgiftstest.com/test/youth
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.