WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Imagine you’re walking down the street and you find a lottery ticket on the ground. This is the powerball jackpot winning ticket. You are instantly a millionaire! How would this change your life? What would happen if when you picked up the ticket you didn’t know it was real, so you never redeemed it?
2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us that if anyone is in Christ they are a new person – the old is gone and the new is come. They have a whole new identity and that is far better than winning the lottery! But sometimes we don’t know what is true about us. Today we are going to look at some of the things God says about the new you.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY ABOUT THIS?
1. Read Ephesians 2:1-3.
- What does this passage say about what is true of us before we know Christ?
- In what way can you relate to this?
2. Read Ephesians 2:4-10. What does this passage say happens to us after we come to know Christ?
3. In verse 10, how does God describe us and his purpose for us?
4. What does it mean to you that God thinks of you as a masterpiece?
5. Read Ezekiel 36:25-27. What are some changes that happen when we come to know God?
6. Read 2 Corinthians 5:21. What does this passage say?
HOW DO WE APPLY THIS TO OUR LIVES?
7. Take a look at the “Who I Am In Christ” sheet. It lists the truths we looked at today and many others.
- Which of these are hard for you to believe?
- Which ones mean the most to you?
8. How does it affect your life if you’re a follower of Jesus but don’t believe the truths of your new identity like those we’ve looked at?
9. The picture at the top of the page is a butterfly. How is our new identity in Christ like the new identity of a caterpillar when she becomes a butterfly?
10. Conclude the lesson by watching this video on identity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDQEb-qlyM
WHO I AM IN CHRIST
If you are a Christian, then the statements below are true of you.
In Christ, I am accepted…
John 1:12 — I am God’s child.
John 15:15 — As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1 — I have been justified.
1 Corinthians 6:17 — I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 — I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.
1 Corinthians 12:27 — I am a member of Christ’s body.
Ephesians 1:3-8 — I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14 — I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.
Colossians 2:9-10 — I am complete in Christ.
Hebrews 4:14-16 — I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.
In Christ, I am secure…
Romans 8:1-2 — I am free from condemnation.
Romans 8:28 — I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.
Romans 8:31-39 — I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 — I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.
Colossians 3:1-4 — I am hidden with Christ in God.
Philippians 1:6 — I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.
Philippians 3:20 — I am a citizen of heaven.
2 Timothy 1:7 — I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.
1 John 5:18 — I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.
In Christ, I am significant…
John 15:5 — I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.
John 15:16 — I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.
1 Corinthians 3:16 — I am God’s temple.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21 — I am a minister of reconciliation for God.
Ephesians 2:6 — I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10 — I am God’s workmanship.
Ephesians 3:12 — I may approach God with freedom and confidence.
Philippians 4:13 — I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
What ideas do you have that could improve this study? Are there creative things you do to bring this topic home to your students? Please share with the community clicking the FEEDBACK button or leaving a comment below.